Today marks my last day at Higher Logic, and with it marks a year+ of working to build up the software infrastructure from startup to sustainable.
That year has also included:
- Marking one year as a DBA; and 2 years as a Full Stack Developer.
- migrating 500 databases from SQL Server 2008 to SQL Server 2014
- Planning and implementing a Disaster Recovery solution for 500 databases;
- Shipping Higher Logic’s Widgets platform
- My first, second, and third pull requests into open source projects
- writing fixes for Video.JS playlist plugin
- digging deep on SQL Server improvements; query optimization and production troubleshooting
- Making lots of mistakes along the way
- Refactoring and putting in unit tests (I repeat myself) to allow improvements to infrastructural code including a hand-rolled ORM (not by me)
- Giving several talks; including a talk at the HUG Super Forum on the new Widgets Platform and a talk to developers on Git
- Building tools to provision SQL Server instances on AWS and to set up those instances according to the Brent Ozar SQL Server Setup Checklist
- And even more mistakes and fixing of those mistakes; including two (brief) production outages
As to what I’m doing next? I’ll give two hints:
- See the title
- My career progression has been: Large Corporate -> Defense Contracting -> Medium Sized Business -> Small business that just left startup mode -> ?
One thought on “Making the Leap”
Congratulations, man! I look forward to watching your next adventure.